Thursday, July 12, 2012

Indian Shower

This week William and I were blessed to have his mom throw us our first baby shower! As many of you know, William's family is Indian.. So naturally, it wouldn't be a party without some Indian flare. This came in the form of me wearing a sari, flowers, and gold, holding plates of fruit and eating too many sweets. I'll explain in a bit.
There were lots of ladies (and even some brave men) who joined us from Will's parent's church. We played a few games, my favorite of which was a game whose objective was to guess which traits the mommy-to-be (that'd be me!) would wish for the baby to inherit from whom. There was a list of 25 traits, including eyes, laugh, work ethic, enthusiasm, etc. I went down my list and selected which parent would contribute the best of each. Then everyone else had to guess what I had put on my list! It was really funny. Not surprisingly, Will ended up guessing closest to mine. He only missed three! He thought the baby should inherit his hands instead of mine. Psh. Have you seen my hands? I have GREAT hands. (joking. kind of.)
We were also showered with way more gifts than we would have ever expected. Everyone was so generous and thoughtful. The baby was blessed with lots of things s/he will need, and some fun things too. One of the gifts that stood out the most was a handmade quilted baby blanket made for us by our friend Cheryl. We were in awe! She designed a pattern of Noah's Ark and made everything by hand. Our baby is so blessed to have so many people who love it already!
So back to the Indian-ness. Will's family from Canada was able to come down to the shower as well, which was really great. In case you didn't know, Indian ladies like to dress up- and saris are the dress of choice. For those who don't know, a sari is literally a 15-foot piece of cloth (in this case, silk) that is wrapped around you in an extremely ornate and confusing way. Props to everyone who can tie their own sari- it must be an innate skill, because I certainly haven't grasped it yet. Tying a sari on me requires at least 5 hands. I also wore lots of pretty gold that my mother-in-law lent to me, and topped it off with some flowers in my hair. It's was like playing dress up for adults. Sweet! There were a few Indian traditions that we incorporated, one being everyone feeding me Indian sweets and fruit. I heard that this tradition originated because in India, sweets and fruit are not as readily acessable as they are here. So when a woman is pregnant, they want to make sure that she is getting the food and nutrients she needs, and they bring her lots of fruit. And everyone likes cookies and candy... so they bring some of those too. I wasn't complaining.
A big thank you to all of the people that came out and celebrated with us and helped build our supplies arsenal for baby K. We had so much fun, and our baby is so blessed to have all of you!


playing "Mr. and Mrs. Wright"
My and my mom-in-law
:) 
The whole fam

1 comment: