Sunday, May 20, 2012

20 Weeks

Dear baby,

We're half way there.
You have been growing in my belly now for 20 weeks. 20 long, hard, exciting, tiresome, emotional, beautiful weeks. While I've been here taking naps and eating too many sweets (I'm sure you appreciate), you've been hard at work becoming a breathing, kicking (YES, I can feel those), swallowing, dreaming little human.
I've been told you're about 10 inches long from head to heel. 10-12 ounces. Your arms and legs are now the proportions that they will be when you're born. Your ears and eyes are in the right place. You taste and swallow amniotic fluid, and your digestive system is preparing for it's big job of keeping you healthy when you're here. You make faces. You get hiccups. You have unique facial features, hair, fingerprints, and tooth buds. You know my voice, daddy's voice, and can recognize familiar sounds (I'm thinking Liam's barking, dad's guitar and the theme song of Bones).
I feel you every day dancing and kicking and doing somersaults in there. I can feel it when you turn from back to front and when you shift from one side to another. Your kicks and punches are getting stronger and make me laugh sometimes. Your dad, uncle Joe, Meemaw, aunt Jessi, and Great-Grandma have all felt you move, too. I like to think it's our little special secret when you kick and punch, and no one feels it but me.
When I start to feel sad about how big my tummy has gotten, I just remember that it means I am that much closer to holding you with my arms and not my belly! You consume our thoughts, conversations, and our prayers. You are already so loved, considered, admired. You make me proud and happy and anxious and nervous all at the same time. Excited doesn't even begin to explain how we feel about meeting you in just 20 more weeks.
We're half way there.

Love,
M




2 comments:

  1. Aww! Love you M, for Mom! I almost started crying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so tender! I literally just teared up reading this, then scrolled down and saw your beautiful self with your beautiful belly full of love and joy! baby is going to be something special for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete